Wednesday, January 25, 2017

Movin' On....working for a living

Good morning! This should be a quickie since it is a work day and not only do I have to teach a class but am scheduled for two meetings. This puts quite a damper on a relaxing work day since meetings have been designed to create more work.



This is my theme song......here are the lyrics:
Workin for a Livin
Somedays won't end ever and somedays pass on by,
I'll be working here forever, at least until I die
Dammed if you do, dammed if you don't
I'm supposed to get a raise week, you know damn well I won't
Workin' for a livin' (workin')
Workin' for a livin' (workin')
Workin' for a livin', livin' and workin'
I'm taking what they giving 'cause I'm working for a livin'
Hey I'm not complaining 'cause I really need the work
We're hitting up my buddy's got me feeling like a jerk
Car payment, insurance, alimony, rent
I get a check on Friday, but it's all ready spent
Workin' for a livin' (workin')
I'm workin' for a livin' (workin')
I'm workin' for a livin', livin' and workin'
I'm taking what they giving 'cause I'm working for a livin'.

Just an FYI....my salary was cut last year. The budget is tight since enrollment in most small overpriced private schools are down. Allegedly, I am supposed to work fewer hours for less pay. I am OK with this, BUT it seems that I should stop working from May 27 to August 27th yet am starting another class on May 28th....hmmmm....then I was asked to teach a class beginning mid July that ends September 1.....hmmmmm....let's see....cut my pay....make me work more....Is this what the women were marching for last weekend? Or am I am idiot for agreeing to not only take a salary cut but work all summer without pay? Let's go with the latter....I am an idiot.


On to the Biggest Loser....I lost a pound; Tink gained 2. We went with the name 25% Off and got an honorable mention in the name contest. I did win the raffle last week and got a power bar and yoga blanket. I was honored since I never win anything except the game of Clue. I can beat everyone including Colonel Mustard. He has no power over my prowess except when he holds the candlestick in the billiard room.
Image result for colonel mustard gif
On Monday, Dr G and I headed to the inner city to perform scoliosis checks at an impoverished inner city school that finally got a nurse one day a week. While Dr G checked the kids out, I gave them a sticker. We met almost every child in the school. They were delightful. Each child had a smile and a look that could melt even the Grinch's heart. During this time, I became more and more humbled by the kindness of the staff and the innocence of the children. They were so grateful for something that I considered insignificant yet important. It was during this time, that we decided that we would help this little school any way that we could including provide them with some necessary health services, health teaching and screening, and equipment.



Tomorrow, my students are holding a pretzel sale  to benefit the tiny bilingual school. After my impassioned plea, they are also dedicating their fund raising activities to benefit the school. This shows you how good people are when they are given the opportunity to give and serve. many of us want to help but have no idea how to.
During February, they are sponsoring a toothbrush and toothpaste drive, then they will go in and teach the children how to brush their teeth and wash their hands. To answer your question, "yes, most kids and adults know this...." BUT how many of us actually take the time to sing Yankee Doodle while brushing our teeth. Raise your hands.....be honest....That's what I thought.....

OK, I have to prep for class. Yes, I do prepare even though I have been teaching this course for years. I have to stay ahead of the curve. On one of my evaluations, a student mentioned that I gave her a headache in class each week. I should invest some money in Tylenol if this is the case. She also suggested that I "dial it back a bit."

Dial what? She wants me to alter my personality in class, lecture, then leave. OK, got it. That sounds like a real fun class.

Off to read....prep....and try to lose another pound. Peace!

No comments:

Post a Comment