Friday, January 16, 2015

Friday night mental toughness

Hi! I am down to the last two papers and cannot get motivated to grade them. I know...then I will be completely done...I know...what the heck? Can't get moving....Actually, I scheduled a massage today with the gift card that I got two years ago. I forgot about it then waited to treat myself after this last crazy six months....but I can't go until I finish the papers. Otherwise, it would not be a treat. Right? I am  such a head case. When I made the appointment, I was offered a masseuse named Darren. Darren? That's a guy, right? Where's Ingrid, a tall, muscular Swedish woman?



Darren sounded like he was a puppy. I do not want to be given a massage by someone who is my son's age. That would be the ultimate ikk factor. Ew. Right?

And so, I selected Tiffany. Yep. Tiffany. She is probably in her early 20's and she is going to have her hands full with my wiggly muscles.....OK, once a upon a time, I was cut, lean, and muscular. At this writing, I am a shade bit doughy. This should be relaxing....uh huh.....


The last time that I had a massage (about 6 years ago), I started to cough. I was breathing so deep that my lungs went into spasm since they are not accustomed to receiving oxygen at the bases. Normally, I breathe quickly and only fill half of the capacity. Anyway, I want to shower before I go....and grade those last two papers, so I have to be brief.....

I spoke with the big lefty today who gave me the run down for the day...class....break...class....bullpen....60 pitches....quick dinner...7:30 pm mental session.

What?

Yep, 7:30 on a Friday evening while in college, the entire team and staff have to sit for two hours listening to the Czar pontificate about the importance of keeping your focus and being mentally tough...while deep breathing, of course. Sheesh.....Two hours.....



Yesterday, while the kid was pitching, the pitching coach had the team stand around him to yell in his ears and scream as he threw. The point of the exercise was to throw him off and distract him. Guess what? He was not distracted and kept a razor-like focus and hit his marks. Impressive.....

Perhaps, this ability to concentrate can be attributed to these mental sessions. Then again, maybe not...after all, this pitcher is one dedicated guy and will stop at nothing to achieve his goals. So, a little chaos is not exactly a problem for him. After living in the dorms and house of mold, he has the ability to turn things on and off. How do I know? Well, he can certainly turn my voice off with a wink of his eye....did you get the car inspected? Did you pay your rent? Is there fresh oil in the car...don't drink and drive...study...go to church....
He probably hears "blah, blah, blah, blah, coming out of my mouth."


 Oh well, it's his loss. I told him my pin number to my debit card that he doesn't remember hearing...
Gotta go and finish....

Peace!~

No comments:

Post a Comment