Tuesday, July 1, 2014

Hitch hiking and other fun stories

Hello! I'm back from the south and happy to be home. I still miss my Diva and I cannot get her off my mind. How a little pup can be so much part of your daily routine has left me in amazement. Her ability to share love was unparallelled. Am I exaggerating? Nope. She was one of a kind.....and so, as Tink and I ran errands in the south, we would turn our heads when we saw little dogs. Sheesh. When do we get over this feeling?  Possibly never...then again.....who knows.



How is the big guy? Well, since it has been a week since the last post, I will try to update you the best that I can since he mostly chatted with his father during my absence.

Let's see....

The coach told him that he either starts this weekend or goes home. Here is his out from Illinois. Guess what? He did not take the out, therefore, he will start on Sunday which means.....

ROAD TRIP!! That's right. Some how....some way....I am going to get my amble butt over to Illinois and watch my boy strike some batters out. Yep, heading west as soon as I can figure out how I am going to get there. Perhaps I should walk, although the knee is swollen, so I am not sure if I will be able to get there unless I start now.

He has had some 'encounters' with a few team mates. It seems that Jeep has the 'sophomore syndrome'. You know what that is....remember the apartment with Big Red, LW, and Angel as well as the house of mold? Why did the guys party so much? Well, they wanted to be popular. They wanted to be the house where everyone hung out. They wanted to be the guys who were the coolest...then the big kid discovered what coolness really is....being yourself without giving a hoot about what anyone else thought. Sadly, our Jeep has the 'I want to be cool' mentality, so he has the guys over to the apartment, they sit by the pool and drink beer. Does that sound like fun? Uh, yeah...sure...to a 20 year old who is away from home. Yet, the only guy over 21 is our hero...therefore, he is culpable for anyone drinking under the age even though he did not provide the booze. First, he is aware of the penalties...second, he is too cheap to buy a round.

Anyway, the guys were drunk one night and banged on hi door begging him to drive them to McDonald's to get some food. They did not want to drive drunk. As he reluctantly piled them into his car, "East Illinois" cracked open a beer. Seeing the open drink, he flipped out and bounced the kid out of his car. Does the story end here? What do you think?

As the team was warming up the next night, the pitchers were stretching and EI began to 'jaw' about how some people's 'rich daddies' paid for their fast balls. Ooops....wrong dude...very wrong....uh, look out....the storm cloud landed above the bull pen....a flash of light...thunder...oh boy...take cover....



"What did you say, boy? You got something to say then say it to my face...."


Three things come to my mind.....he heard the comment....knew that he was the brunt of the sarcastic comment....and some how...some way, there is a misconception that he has a rich dad who can buy and sell things like a fast ball. If this is true, then I am going to set up a kiosk at the next World Series and sell the aforementioned fast balls. I am sure that I can become rich with my new business. Then I can sit back a my own pool and drink beer while pontificating about the business world and how to sell my stock in my new company "Fast Balls, Unlimited."

Back to the story....Here is how it went....

Salty words.....

Saltier words.....

Anger....

Tall kid screaming at smaller kid....

Other pitchers separating the two....



Back to their own corners to finish stretching.....



A little bit of EI history....he walked onto the field on the first day and told the coach that either he starts or goes home....

On Saturday, he was released from the team.

I mentioned to the big kid that obviously he has some pull on the team. "No, EI claimed that he had a sore shoulder, but I knew that he was a little worm and lying to get out of here with an ego intact."

Nice. Some psychology 101 coming from the dug out.

With that said, there are more stories, but I still have to unpack....then re-pack for my walk to Illinois. Should I hitchhike? I did once...not because I wanted to, but because I hit a pothole on the way to work one morning 2 miles away from my destination. It was 6 am and I began to walk with my lunch in my hand. As I realized that I was going to be woefully late, I put out my thumb and was ignored by a few people. Sure, I get it....here is a 20 year old with a brown paper bag in her hand and her scrubs on and she is looking to rob someone a mile from a hospital. I get it....oh look out...danger!



Finally after a few minutes, a Porsche stopped and I knew immediately that it was a surgeon that I worked with stopping to help a gal in distress.....was I? Hmmm, I could have made it to the hospital, but I would have been an hour late. back then, I did not have a cell phone, there were no telephones around, so I was on my own.


Seeing the Porsche and the doc, I jumped into the car and we sped out....sweet car.....I had never been in a Porsche and have not been in one since that ride....but I gotta say...nice......



And that is my one and only story about hitchhiking....sorry mom.....but you understand....I was going to be late and found a ride with someone that I knew. Whew.

Enouh said.

Peace!

Peace!

No comments:

Post a Comment