Saturday, May 3, 2014

Sunday starter

Good morning! The baseball team and I lost in a big way yesterday. First, let's go to my tennis match.....


I erroneously thought that I had more skills and talents than I do. In fact, when a person does not use certain muscles on a consistent basis, these aforesaid muscles begin to atrophy. Not me! I say....Oh yeah...me. The arm started to hurt yesterday as much as my ego as we went down in flames.....not even competitive. We squeaked out 2 games...lost fast....looked for the pub afterwards.....Actually, I settled for a couple of frozen Drake's Yodels that were in the freezer....not a pinot....but better....



On to the game....they lost...big...bigger.....really big. They actually scored three runs but still lost by 10. After the game, the Czar "Fresno-ed" a freshman player and told him that he was a mentally weak ^&$((#. Uh huh...then he asked Hawk where he was playing ball next year, because it was not going to be for his team. Nice...motivational...very Vince Lombardi....Rather than working with the guys to cheer them and say: "We are going to kick butt tomorrow," he again threatens them.



I believe that this will have the opposite effect since none of the guys have the Czar's back and he had best watch it, because the outgoing players will have a great deal to share with the Athletic Director. Once again, I pose the question: "Isn't a coach in college supposed to be a teacher?" How many teachers, besides bad ones (Oh, Sister Mary Assumption Victory Joseph-ish) scold their players to the point of tears. Yes, that is the reaction that is needed to motivate a person to do better.



When the big lefty was a little lefty, he was playing in a little league game and the coach continued to scream at him: "Throw strikes for Gosh sakes!" Huh? That's what he is supposed to do....he gets it now. He is supposed to throw strikes. I get it. Perhaps before the next game, I will remind him that the goal is to throw the ball across the plate, in case he forgot! Of course, he knows tho throw strikes. Doesn't the coach think that he was trying? The same goes for Hawk. it was a big game in a bigger venue and the kid is 18 years old. Rather than scolding him, give the kid a break and work with him and tell him that he now has some terrific experience and will be better on the mound the next time. Rather than making him feel better, which is almost impossible after a horrific outing. He is humiliated and called out in the team huddle.



Are we feeling the love yet?

Uh, no.....no love here.....



Except....

After the post game phone call from the big kid, dad looked up air fare and we are headed to Nebraska tomorrow. It seems that the Sunday pitcher "TBA" is actually the big lefty. Yeah...nice. So, dad and I are on the road traveling to KC then driving to Lincoln. We will be back after the game on Sunday. Yep, I am a road warrior. I think that dad was a bit sad that he had missed so many starts that he has now joined the 1000 mile club. Welcome, I can use a companion since Tink is working so much.


Just a quick note....on Wednesday, the kid was interviewed by one of his journalism friends for the paper. The question was posed: "How do you feel about pitching against such a superior hitting team." Rather than answering the question the way he wanted to, he just replied that he will take it one pitch at a time. What he really wanted to say was "Shouldn't they be worried about facing me?" Now that, my friend, is confidence....

Go team!

Gotta pack!

No comments:

Post a Comment