Friday, November 15, 2013

Grit!

Howdy! It's the day after the longest day.....on Thursdays, I get up at 5 am to run to class and clinical for 6 hours. Then I run home to shower and eat a peanut butter sandwich then head to campus to teach a four hour class. Am I tired? Uh, yep....Fridays are lost days as I try to work my energy back up. With that said, Diva and I are sitting here together as I type my thoughts and she enjoys her morning nap.



Yesterday was tough for ole BPM.....there is a school policy that if a student shows up late for a practicum, he or she must be sent home. No exceptions....oye! As I sat with my group at 6:30 a, I looked around and was missing the most diligent, perfectionist, Type A student that I have ever had. Yikes! All I could think of was that she had an accident or was dead.....When she arrived at 7, I had to send her home because of the  late policy. I had no choice as I called the course coordinator who also did not want to send her home, but had to.....anyway.....flash forward to 8pm last night.....



As I was teaching with a burst of Snickers energy, one of the instructors knocked on my door and mentioned that my tired little perfectionist was still crying. Oye! That's 12 hours of crying which was induced by me. She also had not eaten all day and was about to drop over....my fault again....



The instructor did her best to calm her and then two of her friends took her out for food. It was not a pretty day for us. As I look back on it, I know that she did not deliberately sleep through 4 alarms and that she was completely and utterly exhausted. College can do that for a person, so I started to think about a research study that I had read during the summer on grit.



Yeah, grit....Not True grit, but real grit! Grit is a determination to achieve your goals when all is against you. A person who is gritty does not stop until the goal is actualized. I believe that my son is gritty and therefore will make it. On the other hand, I have always known that I was not the brightest bulb in the arsenal and therefore had to work harder to achieve my personal and professional goals. I also know that no one is going to hand you anything, you must work for it.



With that said, last night in class, we took the Grit survey. Click on this link for more information on grit and take the test. I scored a 4.25 out of 5. I think that my score makes me one gritty gal. How about you?



Have a great day! 

No comments:

Post a Comment