Saturday, October 5, 2013

Perspective

Happy Birthday to my pal, Ice....many more, kiddo!


Good Saturday afternoon! I am posting later in the day because I have not had a chance to sit down, drink coffee, and think. I rose early out of bed to take the Sh'Bam class and once I returned home, I started my culinary therapy. What's that?



Well, culinary therapy is my way of coping when things are rough. I am a bit worried about Big M and the family and have a few deadlines coming up. Further, I teach leadership and was told that in the other classes, my students are not acting like leaders. Therefore, I have to have a home spun, come to the wood shed type of conversation with this group of students.




Why? Well, a leader does not lose his or her patience and yell at a peer. Also, a leader does not wear a skin tight muscle shirt to a post conference. Also, a leader is always prepared. And so, it's time for my pseudo-leaders to come to mama and learn a few things or two or twenty.



As far as culinary therapy is concerned, it's the only way I know how to stay focused and help a bit. I am making chicken tortilla soup, granola bites, chocolate bombs, and hershey kiss pretzel bites. Once everything is done, I'll drop it off at the hospital for Big sis and the family as they think about healing and not about food. Big M has a huge family and so it's like an open house in his room. He is never alone and has the love and support of not only family but the community.



On to the big kid....he called a few minutes ago to complain about fatigue...so tired....beaten up....exhausted...hasn't had a day off in weeks.....

Hmmm....yes, hmmmm....his phone call came at a bad time and so, I kindly and gently let him have it....

"You know that I love you, right?"

-"Yeah...."

"Ok, well, I am here baking, creating, and cooking for Big M. He might have cancer at the worst; and at the best, an arrhythmia that needs an internal defibrillator."

-"I know...how is he doing?"

"Well, he is having a biopsy on Monday. You call and complain about being tired after playing too much baseball. I have to say, that I do not feel sorry for you and think that you should consider your priorities when you decide to complain about a lifestyle that we have worked to give you. By the way, dad works 7 days a week and has not had a day off either."

-"Ok, bye."



And with that, our conversation ended.....I doubt if I will hear from him again today. And so it goes, as I continue to work on my students and their leadership skills, I am also seeking to teach my own children about priorities and putting their suffering or struggles in perspective. As a society, we are all dealing with something that may be construed as tough until you open your eyes and look around. My life....not so tough, when I gaze at the homeless and hungry....sick and infirm...the lonely and sad. Tink and I volunteer at the Food Cupboard in town. Now those people have troubles as they cannot afford groceries. It's all perspective, my children...all perspective.....






OK, enough of my soapbox.

It's time for me to finish the food and work on a project that is way passed due. Have a great day......

Here are two amazingly simple, sinful, and yummy recipes:

Chicken Tortilla Soup:

SAUTEE in olive oil and butter: couple chopped carrots
couple celery stalks
1 onion

Then ADD:1 can of whole tomatoes + juice
2 cups of chicken stock
1 jar of salsa (whatever heat level you prefer)
1 can of black beans (drained and rinsed)
1 can of white cannelloni beans (drained and rinsed)
1 can of green chili peppers (it is smaller than a tuna fish can size)
1 large whole chicken breast (shredded) or small whole chicken
Corn (about half a package of frozen)

SEASONING:CUMIN (very key ingredient, not a clue, you just need to keep adding and tasting)
Red Pepper flakes (key ingredient)
Hot Sauce (to your liking)
Salt + Pepper

Bring to a boil, simmer until carrots are cooked.
It’s better the next day!



TOPPERS:Cheese
Sour Crème
Guacamole
Tortilla Chips


Chocolate Oreo Bombs

 


1 pkg.  (8 oz.) PHILADELPHIA Cream Cheese, softened
36 OREO Cookies, finely crushed (about 3 cups)
4 pkg.  (4 oz. each) BAKER'S Semi-Sweet Chocolate, broken into pieces, melted

Make It



MIX cream cheese and cookie crumbs until blended.
SHAPE into 48 (1-inch) balls. Freeze 10 min. Dip balls in melted chocolate; place in single layer in shallow waxed paper-lined pan.
REFRIGERATE 1 hour or until firm.

Make It


MIX cream cheese and cookie crumbs until blended.
SHAPE into 48 (1-inch) balls. Freeze 10 min. Dip balls in melted chocolate; place in single layer in shallow waxed paper-lined pan.
REFRIGERATE 1 hour or until firm.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment