Wednesday, April 3, 2013

What's in drawer number 1?

Good morning! Hey...it's April and cold....time to wake Mother Nature from her nap. I am so tired of wearing a heavy coat, that I decided not to yesterday AND paid the price. I guess that I cannot defy the weather. No one can....although I did try.

So, whazzup? Hmmm...not much. The guys leave today at 11 am for one game in Ohi-ooooo. The game is at 6 pm and they will probably return home in the wee hours of the morning, knowing that their 8 am class looms large. As a college professor, I DO see when students sleep in my class. One student's eyes would roll to the back of her head when she was going down. At first, I thought that she was having a seizure, then I realized that my witty teaching banter was not enough to keep her going. Another student rather than sleeping, which he did on several occasions, would play games on his iPad or surf the Internet. Once he placed his head phones in his ears and listened to music. Offended? Sure. But guess who barely eeked through the class? On hindsight, I should have sent him packing, but it is his money and if he wants to sit in a class, be bored, not listen nor get anything out of the discussion, then he wastes his money. Also, I know deep down that I am torturing him more than he is torturing me. I am not into revenge, but he was miserable each week....especially when I asked him to comment on some vague and confusing concept.....

Sorry, I have to stop smiling now....just the thought of my teaching being used to waterboard international spies is something that I have never considered. But I am sure that many of my students think that they are being tortured unnecessarily. After all, they are earning their college degree. I do not give it to them for free. If it was so easy, then everyone would have one. Yet, about 1/3 of the nation holds a bachelor's degree. I guess this population would rather have root canals than listen to one of my lectures....

Enough about me. I do have a few meetings to attend today. It's a never ending battle as I catch up on work, attend a meeting and drop back into a hole....

By the way, I believe that I have to clean the mouse excrement out of my work desk today. Yeah, let me tell you this story....my former assistant always gave me candy as a gift. But I never ate it and placed it in my desk for a rotten day. Since I work at home 90% of the time, I forgot about the candy.

Two weeks ago (don't judge me) while I was at work, I finally opened my desk drawer to retrieve a note pad. Guess what I found? That's right....remnants of a full and happy mouse or mouse family and the candy wrappers. What did I do? Well, I closed the drawer and asked if housekeeping would clean it out. Sadly, they don't clean mouse doo-doo out of personal desk drawers. So, I decided that I had to do it myself. I bought Clorox wipes, a plastic bag ('cause I don't care what is in the drawer, it could be my credit card....but it is getting tossed), and gloves. As I was about to embark on cleaning the desk out, a friend told me to wear a mask. Ooops. I don't have one. So, she thought I should tape a Bounty paper towel onto my face.

Let's consider that one. I looked at her and was surprised that she did not suggest that I staple a piece of paper to my ears. Sheeesh.....so, I did not clean the drawer out last week since I needed the mask. So, the drawer remained closed. Later in the day, I received a neat card from a student thanking me for not boring her in class and opened the second drawer of my desk to store it. Guess what? Mickey Mouse had attacked my toothbrush (ew) and toothpaste (double eew). He/she ate through the tube of toothpaste leaving half of the tube and eating the contents of my Crest toothpaste (super whitener). Yeah....I closed that drawer too.

Now all of this mouse poo has a silver lining to it. One of my colleagues was feeling blue and out of sorts. In order to cheer her up and say life could be worse, I brought her into my office, opened the drawers and watched her laugh until she cried. Yeah, I am glad that someone is laughing about this, 'cause today is the day when I have to clean it. And yes, everything in those drawers will be deposited into the dumpster. I wish that I could also put the drawers in there too, but it is work's desk not mine. So I have to take care of it.

What will I find when I finally don my mask and gloves? I don't know, but I do know that I am not going to eat anything before or after this project. Time for me to tackle the mouse....I happen to know that this is NOT in my job description....Have a great day, 'cause I have a feeling that I am not going to....

No comments:

Post a Comment