Thursday, April 11, 2013

Thrown out

I'm baack! I had to take a day off to catch up on life. Now that I have a repairman coming to the house to fix the freezer, I am immobile waiting for the guy to show up. Yes, the freezer does not freeze anything. I lost all of my frozen food. The only thing that really bothered me was that my Weight Watchers ice cream bars (open in case of an emergency) melted. Once my third set of the ice cream cones melted away, I called the guy and said that this is definitely an emergency. And so....I wait....wait...wait...wait....

On to baseball....on Tuesday night there was a home game that was broadcasted on television. There was no need for me to head to the mountains since it was on tv. Yes, I saw the big kid lots of time standing in the dugout and bullpen...spitting....laughing...smiling...He never made it into the game and was quite salty when he called home. Never asking for me....he went right to the top and complained vociferously to dad.....who once again advised him to speak to the coach.

Last night's game was at home and looking at the forecast, I did not want to sit nor drive in the rain, so I did not make the trip. I guess that I am becoming more choosy. There was a 30 minute rain delay postponing the start of the game. Once the game began, the announcer mentioned that the score board had been hit by lightening and it was not working....huh? The Jumbo-tron!     Whoa...that was a storm....feeling better about my decision, they played 5 innings with the home team crushing the competition. Then the game was called for severe weather. Rather than picking it up where is ended the coaches decided to replay the game next week. Ouch!

On to the phone call home....when the big kid called to chat after the game, he was in good spirits....guess where he was going? Hmmm...if you check Sunday's blog, I mentioned that the coaches told all of the players to go to the bars to relax....well, not happy about the endorsement of using liquor to alleviate stress, I let it be known that I disagreed.....go to a movie, restaurant, pizza parlor.....

Anyway, when I asked if he was going to the library to study, he said "I had a rough week. I am going to the bar with the guys." A rough week? What constitutes a rough week? True, your bedroom window and the car were egged yesterday, but aside from cleaning it, what was so stressful? Do you have a blister? Did you meal money run out? Does your pen have ink in it? Ran out of underwear? What? What was so bad?

Not knowing, I advised him as a mom would: "NO drinking and driving....Sparky will not bail you out. So you are on your own....."

"No, mom. I know that. I am walking to the main street....no driving...I can't afford it." Great...'cause I ain't gonna send him a dime.....although I did pay his speeding ticket a few years ago....

Flash forward to this morning....I received a text at 12:20 am when I was sound asleep....."Got kicked out of a bar for the first time. Some guy asked me to help him to find a girl to spend the night with and I told him to &^$(((. He offered me $100.00...I guess that I am not cut out for the bar scene".  There must have been more to the story to be kicked out a bar. Nevertheless, it is disturbing on a number of levels.

I am glad that he shared this text with me. I think....yeah, I am glad. This opens dialog about drinking, women, idiot guys, stupid girls and so on.I suppose getting thrown out of bar is a badge of honor for some people. But something tells me that heated words were exchanged and some people were more inebriated that they let on....

OK, it's college. They have to learn and this is why they are there. In a way, it is a safe environment (except for the egg tossing) for the kids to learn about life, rules, and standards. I am actually fine with the bar throwing these knucklehead kids. Go for it......toss them out on their bottoms.....humiliate them....let them know in no uncertain terms that this is not the way decent people behave.
 
Once they have these experiences, they will either continue to embrace them or look for other ways to gather with their friends and blow off steam. What ever happened to a Frisbee game in the backyard....toasting marshmallows? Eating ice cream sundaes? How about tutoring a kid? Volunteer at a soup kitchen? Hey, that will show you what real stress is....just sayin'.....


Still waiting for the repairman.....Later!


No comments:

Post a Comment