Monday, April 8, 2013

Pre-game preparation

Monday, Monday, Monday! Hey....it's Monday!

During the last post, I shared with you about the Coach's attempt to stop the losing streak. He suggested that each player go to the bars on the main street and get drunk....but be home by curfew. Still scratching my head about that suggestion, the guys jumped at the chance and ran to the nearest watering hole. I guess that they had a really good time and toasted to their losing streak. I really don't know since I wasn't there as I returned home without even seeing my son. Not even a photo opportunity....nothing....

And so, yesterday, they won.....OK, before we jump up and down and call Joe Torre and Charley Manual about this new type of game preparation, let's look at who pitched against them.....This guy had an ERA of 7.75. So, it's not like they were going against Steven Strasburg. They were going against a guy who had a pulse and was thrown out there onto the mound.

Although they won the game easily, they still had three errors. In fact, I am surprised they could see the ball at all. I talked with the big kid today....actually he spoke to me since I did not offer any words of wisdom. He just wanted to chat. He reported that some of the guys were so drunk that they were vomiting in the dugout during yesterday's game. Further, their heads were splitting....the coach then suggested after the game, that the guys make this their pre-game ritual from now on....

With that, I just can't comment. Buddy reported that he drank too much and was not really in a good way prepared to go into the game. Naturally, he never made it into the game.

Is all this great coaching or major stupidity....what is the saying....."What good is it to gain the world but lose your soul?" Perhaps that is a bit dark, but the sentiment is there. Suggesting that these undergraduates should alleviate their anxiety with alcohol is a great disservice. They are young and naive....this can come back and haunt all of them.

Do I imbibe? You betcha....but I joke about it more than anything else. Granted, there are days when a glass of merlot will do the trick....but these days are rare. After all, we are big people who can control our urges. The younger guys have to develop tools to deal with their stress. Suggesting that liquor will do it is mind boggling.....

And so, I will continue to watch from the bleachers and work with the only person on the team that I may be able to influence.....Let's just say that this one is not over....not yet.....nope....

No comments:

Post a Comment