Saturday, December 1, 2012

Decisions, decisions, decisions

Good morning! A beautiful day in the northeast and I am ready to put up the Christmas lights. That's right...me...alone...no one else? Why, BPM? You have a family, right?



Uh-huh...I have a family who disappears this time of year and if I waited for them to appear, I would placing up the Easter eggs on the trees. For the life of me, I am not sure why they do not take joy in the season and work with me to prepare. I thought that it was the journey and not necessarily the destination. Maybe I am too much of an optimist, so I will be like the Little Red Hen and do it myself...including eating the cookies myself too. Hmmm...perhaps that is not the best idea...in fact...I need to think that last sentence through.

So, BPM, how is the big kid? Well, I gotta say that he is much much better and on the way back to his old competitive nature....although.....

Yesterday, I took the drive to the campus to meet with the sports psychologist with him. I wanted to support him as he worked to clear his head and work through the fear of reinjuring himself...'cause ya know what? He could....that is reality. So the fear is not one that is unrealistic. It certainly can happen. Sooooo......

We sat in this brilliant man's office and Buddy spilled his guts and talked about the last year. The therapist listened and gave him excellent advice....thank you, Lord!

First, he has to abandon the party house. It is too much for him. He is constantly stressed out as his room mates are trying to duplicate the Playboy Mansion without the grotto or funds for anything stronger than cheap beer. This kid wants to go to school, study, rehab, work out, and kick butt on the pitching mound. Those are his goals. Therefore, cleaning vomit off his bedroom door, bouncing kids out of his house, and spackling the holes in the walls are not his idea of what his college experience should be. Yet, he made the decision to live with these guys and has to live with the consequences. for now....

He is in the throes of a decision to leave the house in January since the roomies are not receptive to any of his requests to not throw parties for the entire campus of 10,00 students. Remarkably, I think that we may be moving the contents of his bedroom from the place and leave the sofa. That's right...the sofa stays. Dad and I are NOT moving it again....no way, no how. Uh uh. Nope....stays until it disintegrates from  spilled, dried, and caked beer and nachos. Yesterday when I dopped him off at the house, he encouraged me not to enter. Naturally, I stayed in the car because the air was fresher and the floors were not sticky. I also figured that I could be scarred for life if I walked into that place one more time.

And now, the decision is being carefully considered as he decides whether it is worth spending another month, five months or 18 months with this bunch of guys. I know how I feel about the subject especially seeing his epiglottis and airway close off in the emergency room last month. But the decision is his. Once he makes it, he must live with the ramifications.

I can only imagine that his hopes and dreams of living in this house with his friends has been quite disappointing. This past summer, he could not wait to leave home and move into the house. He had visions of an open door policy and a place where his friends could come to hang out and play video games, drink beer and gatorade, and eat pizza. Yet, his roomies had other ideas. In fact, they used him to gain access to the house and create a place where they could be hoodlums. The look of the house, windows, porch and front lawn are Animal House-like yet this is not a movie. It is supposed to be a college house where they could be somewhat carefree without breaking any furniture, windows, and window blinds. They could be arrested, sued if anyone is injured, and evicted. Frankly, there is nothing funny or whimsical about this place.
Therefore, he has to make the final decision. As the Clash sing: "Should I stay or should I go?"

Always tease tease tease
You’re happy when I’m on my knees
One day is fine, next day is black
So if you want me off your back
Well come on and let me know
Should I stay or should I go?

Should I stay or should I go now?
Should I stay or should I go now?
If I go there will be trouble
An’ if I stay it will be double
So come on and let me know!

Stay tuned...it should be an interesting month of December....by the way:


Happy Birthday to my wonderful goddaughter, Buttercup! I love you!

Time to decorate the house.....or run off the cookie that I had for breakfast.....

No comments:

Post a Comment