Wednesday, June 13, 2012

So un-cool.....

Good Morning! It's the day after a major league rain storm in the northeast and I am reluctant to check the basement. If there is no water, then I can exhale. If there is water leakage, then I have to mop it. What to do? Hmmmm....answer is simple, I will continue to write this post.

Not much going on in the world of BP mom, except the routine of summer has settled in....the kids continue to disagree about the car that they share and the amount of gas consumed. I get the complaints individually and can be heard saying: "You have to talk to one another and work it out." I am not getting into the middle of the maelstrom. The two of them are so different. Buddy has the first nickel that he ever made hidden in his bedroom. Conversely, Tink spends her money as if twenty dollar bills were thriving on a bush in the back yard. So different...yet so alike.....

Why do they share a car? Well, they needed to experience negotiation, conflict resolution, and problem solving skills. Further, we are no where near a train or bus station and they cannot walk to work. Lastly, they have a wonderful life and have not had to really worry about the next meal or whether the aging, decrepit, un-cool folks can pay for their tuition and books. Therefore, they need a bit of education when it comes to being independent. Ma and Pa are not going to bail them out every time they have an issue. These skills have to be learned. Then they will have great stories like me!

I will never forget sharing an orange Volkswagen with my brothers. Looking back on it, I cringe. I got the car to go to school, but never got it to go out with friends or run errands. It seemed that I was the only one who put gas into it. Although, they did wash the car on a regular basis. Nevertheless, I did feel a bit cheated when they had the car during the evenings and weekends and I was driving the wood paneled olive green station wagon that had enough room to fit a family of 13 comfortably to hang out with the gang. Actually, I was pretty popular because I had the 'wheels' and could pick everyone up and still have room to transport heavy equipment. Finally, after graduating from college, I bought a pretty red Datsun that was promptly totaled by a large Buick.  Ah, those were the days....

Speaking of the days, Father's Day is this weekend and so is Cupcake's christening. We get to celebrate together. BP Grandpop turned 85 years old in January. He is a great-grandfather now, so does that make him Great-BP Grandpop? I think so, although he has always been a pretty "great" dad. Actually, it was Great-BP Grandpop who taught me the facts of life while taking me on errands. I will never forget as we drove to the mall and saying to him: "Don't tell me any more!" I think that I was 11....or perhaps 35....I blocked it out. Thanks, Dad.....you did not sugar-coat that discussion....Oy!

OK, so now it's time to either grade papers or check the basement for water....Decisions...decisions...decisions.....

Have a wonderful day!




No comments:

Post a Comment