Sunday, February 13, 2011

Lucky

The weather is chilly and Valentine's Day is tomorrow. I am chillin' listening to old Simon and Garfunkel on Pandora. The songs and harmonies were amazing. Paul Simon writes
"Hey, I've got nothing to do today but smile......" What a great line...nothing to do but smile.....got to try it sometime...soon...when ever I have nothing to do....definitely on my list of things to do...smile all day....just smile....

Yesterday I took Tink and Grandmom shopping at a big outlet mall in our region. There were two goals. Goal number one ....find the lucky sneakers. Goal number two: get back early enough so Grandmom could drive home in the day light (no night driving for her....it's got to be daylight.....ahhh, the pressure). After a big breakfast, we took on the outlets with a large number of people, like us, looking for bargains. I doubt if anyone was out there searching for lucky sneakers, although one never knows. I obviously was not wearing lucky shoes, socks, clothes or underwear, because I could not find a parking space anywhere near the stores. So, like a good mom and daughter, I dropped them off in front of the store, parked in an adjacent state, and walked to the store trying to find them.

Anyway, we went from store to store on a quest to find the lucky sneakers. What constitutes lucky sneakers? How does a person know that the sneakers that they hold in their hands before purchase are "lucky"? The answer is.....no one knows....that is all part of the allure of luck. No one can really define it. What is lucky to one, may be unlucky to another. Like a snow day.....the kids think that the snow days are lucky...the parents may disagree and find that snow days are dreadful and anything but lucky.

Yet, I do have some luck parameters when it comes to sneakers. First, the sneakers have to be wearable without socks. Yep, feet have to slip in and feel comfortable walking from the car to the ball field while carrying the baseball tote bag and shade chair. Second, the sneakers have to be somewhat "cute"....they can't be ugly or an odd color. I have seen pink, purple, black, gold, silver, and chartreuse sneakers....all of the colors are NOT lucky and are therefore crossed off the list. Last, the sneakers must be on sale....that's right at least 50 to 75% off the original price....so, let's review....lucky sneakers are white, fashionable, comfortable, and cheap...that's it....

After a few hours roaming through the stores, I found the sneakers in Ross (of all places....I have a Ross store 5 minutes from the house and did not have to travel 80 minutes). The sneakers met all of the guidelines from white (small blue stripe....racy...), comfortable, somewhat stylish,  and $12.99! Yep,  a  pair of leather Keds were 12.99....talk about luck....They were so cheap, that I bought a second pair of sneakers making me doubly lucky....

So, now I am almost ready for the start of the season. All I need now is to pack and download the plane tickets. Interestingly, at this point, Buddy does not know if he is on the list to travel to Florida. I am the optimist and am confident that he will be with the team...this will be a big test for the lucky sneakers......


No comments:

Post a Comment